Here’s how the credit for other dependents can benefit taxpayers
Certified QuickBooks Proadvisor in Houston
Taxpayers with dependents may qualify to claim a few different tax credits. One of these is the child tax credit. The child tax credit benefits people whose dependent meets a series of tests. If the dependent doesn't meet those qualifications, the taxpayer may be able to claim the credit for other dependents.
Here's some info about the credit for other dependents. These details can help taxpayers find out if they can claim it when they file their taxes next year.
- A taxpayer can't claim the credit for other dependents for a child who qualifies for the child tax credit or the additional child tax credit.
- A qualifying individual could be the taxpayer's older child, parent or cousin. It could even be someone who is not related to the taxpayer. To qualify, the unrelated person must have lived with the taxpayer for the entire tax year.
- The maximum amount of the credit is $500 per qualifying dependent.
- The dependent must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a U.S. resident alien.
- Taxpayers who are eligible to claim this credit must list the name and Social Security number or individual taxpayer identification number for each dependent they claim on their tax return.
- The credit begins to phase out at $200,000 of modified adjusted gross income. This amount is $400,000 for married couples filing jointly.
Taxpayers can use the worksheet on page 6 of Publication 972, Child Tax Credit (PDF), Child Tax Credit, to determine if they can claim this credit.
Alfredo Gaxiola has worked on numerous IRS problem cases and has successfully settled with the IRS to release liens on houses, bank accounts and wages and, if needed, setting a payment installment plan that is not burdensome for the client. He has conducted appeals before the U.S. Tax Court and obtained favorable resolutions in reducing the tax debt of his clients. Mr. Gaxiola served as Treasurer of Camara de Empresarios Latinos, one of the largest and strongest Hispanic organizations in the city of Houston. He has conducted financial and accounting seminars for the Houston Small Business Development Corporation, as well.
Certified QuickBooks Proadvisor in Houston.
CPA in Houston, Alfredo Gaxiola in Houston, Certified Public Accountant in Houston, Bookkeeping in Houston, Certified QuickBooks Proadvisor in Houston, QuickBooks Set Up and Training in Houston, Bank Financing in Houston, Business Tax Returns in Houston, Personal Tax Returns in Houston, Quarterly & Monthly Filings in Houston, Financial Statement Preparation in Houston, Form Preparation in Houston, Payroll Preparation in Houston, Reviews Temporary Bookkeeping Services in Houston, Reducing your taxes in Houston, IRS representation in Houston