Educators can claim deduction to get money back for classroom expenses
Personal Tax Returns in Houston
Educators may be able to deduct unreimbursed expenses on their tax return. This deduction can put money right back in the pockets of eligible teachers and other educators.
Here are some things to know about this deduction:
- Educators can deduct up to $250 of trade or business expenses that were not reimbursed. As teachers prepare for the next school year, they should remember to keep receipts after making any purchase to support claiming this deduction.
- The deduction is $500 if both taxpayers are eligible educators and file their return using the status married filing jointly. These taxpayers cannot deduct more than $250 each.
- Qualified expenses are amounts the taxpayer paid themselves during the tax year.
- Examples of expenses the educator can deduct include:
- Professional development course fees
- Computer equipment, including related software and services
- Other equipment and materials used in the classroom
- Taxpayers claim the deduction on Form 1040 (PDF) or Form 1040-NR (PDF). The taxpayer should remember to complete and attach Form 1040, Schedule 1 (PDF) to their return.
- To be considered an eligible educator, the taxpayer must be a kindergarten through grade 12 teacher, instructor, counselor, principal or aide. They must also work at least 900 hours a school year in a school that provides elementary or secondary education as determined under state law.
Alfredo Gaxiola has worked on numerous IRS problem cases and has successfully settled with the IRS to release liens on houses, bank accounts and wages and, if needed, setting a payment installment plan that is not burdensome for the client. He has conducted appeals before the U.S. Tax Court and obtained favorable resolutions in reducing the tax debt of his clients. Mr. Gaxiola served as Treasurer of Camara de Empresarios Latinos, one of the largest and strongest Hispanic organizations in the city of Houston. He has conducted financial and accounting seminars for the Houston Small Business Development Corporation, as well.
Personal Tax Returns in Houston.
CPA in Houston, Alfredo Gaxiola in Houston, Certified Public Accountant in Houston, Bookkeeping in Houston, Certified QuickBooks Proadvisor in Houston, QuickBooks Set Up and Training in Houston, Bank Financing in Houston, Business Tax Returns in Houston, Personal Tax Returns in Houston, Quarterly & Monthly Filings in Houston, Financial Statement Preparation in Houston, Form Preparation in Houston, Payroll Preparation in Houston, Reviews Temporary Bookkeeping Services in Houston, Reducing your taxes in Houston, IRS representation in Houston